Resume Writing Don’ts: 12 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resume
Certainly, here are some resume writing “don’ts” to keep in mind when crafting your CV:
1. Don’t Overwhelm with Information: Avoid overcrowding your resume with excessive details. Keep it concise and focus on the most relevant and impactful information.
2. Don’t Use Unprofessional Email Addresses: Use a professional email address for your contact nformation. Avoid using personal or overly casual email addresses.
3. Don’t Neglect Spellcheck and Proofreading: Failing to proofread your resume can lead to spelling and grammatical errors. Always thoroughly review your CV to ensure it’s error-free.
4. Don’t Use an Outdated Format: Avoid using outdated resume formats or templates. Your resume should have a modern, clean, and professional design.
5. Don’t Include Irrelevant Personal Information: Refrain from including irrelevant personal details like age, marital status, or a photograph unless it’s explicitly required or customary in the region.
6. Don’t Overdo the Design Elements: While a visually appealing resume is important, excessive graphics, colours, and fonts can distract from the content. Maintain a balanced and professional design.
7. Don’t Include Unrelated Hobbies: Skip mentioning hobbies and interests that are not relevant to the job. Only include hobbies that showcase skills or qualities beneficial to the position.
8. Don’t Be Vague: Avoid vague statements or generic phrases. Instead, use specific examples and quantifiable achievements to showcase your capabilities.
9. Don’t Lie or Exaggerate: Never provide false information or exaggerate your skills and experiences. Be truthful and honest throughout your resume.
10. Don’t Neglect Tailoring: Don’t send out the same generic resume for every job application. Tailor your resume to match the specific job requirements and company culture.
11. Don’t Include Unexplained Employment Gaps: If you have gaps in your employment history, consider addressing them briefly in your cover letter. However, avoid detailed explanations in the resume itself.
12. Don’t Forget to Customise Your CV: Don’t submit a one-size-fits-all CV. Customise your resume for each job application to showcase the most relevant skills and experiences.
By avoiding these common pitfalls, you can create a well-crafted and effective resume that effectively presents your qualifications and maximises your chances of landing the job you desire.